The following are important factors of leadership:-
1. UNWAVERING COURAGE based upon knowledge of self, and of one’s occupation.
No follower wishes to be dominated by a leader who lacks self-confidence and
courage. No intelligent follower will be dominated by such a leader very long.
2. SELF-CONTROL. The man who cannot control himself, can never control others.
Self-control sets a mighty example for one’s followers, which the more intelligent
3. A KEEN SENSE OF JUSTICE. Without a sense of fairness and justice, no leader
can command and retain the respect of his followers.
4. DEFINITENESS OF DECISION. The man who wavers in his decisions, shows
that he is not sure of himself. He cannot lead others successfully.
5. DEFINITENESS OF PLANS. The successful leader must plan his work, and
work his plan. A leader who moves by guesswork, without practical, definite
plans, is comparable to a ship without a rudder. Sooner or later he will land on
6. THE HABIT OF DOING MORE THAN PAID FOR. One of the penalties of leadership
is the necessity of willingness, upon the part of the leader, to do more
than he requires of his followers.
7. A PLEASING PERSONALITY. No slovenly, careless person can become a successful
leader. Leadership calls for respect. Followers will not respect a leader
who does not grade high on all of the factors of a Pleasing Personality.
8. SYMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING. The successful leader must be in sympathy
with his followers. Moreover, he must understand them and their problems.
9. MASTERY OF DETAIL. Successful leadership calls for mastery of details of the
10. WILLINGNESS TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The successful leader
must be willing to assume responsibility for the mistakes and the shortcomings
of his followers. If he tries to shift this responsibility, he will not remain the leader.
If one of his followers makes a mistake, and shows himself incompetent, the
leader must consider that it is he who failed.